North MS Local Forecast: Good Morning! At Smithville, MS, the current temperature is 19 and it feels like 19. Highs will continue to range between 47 and 59 with lows between 25 and 42. There is a 60% chance of showers on Friday, a 60% chance of rain/snow showers next Thursday, a 40% chance of rain/snow showers next Friday, a 30% chance of PM showers next Saturday, a slight chance of rain next Sunday, and a 60% chance of showers next Monday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 19 and it feels like 19. Todays high is 43 with a low of 28. Tuesdays high is 52.
Severe/Winter Weather Update (Southeast Region): Now, for your Severe/Winter Weather Update for the Southeast Region. There could be winter weather potential around January 16th-25th.
Severe Weather Outlook (Nationwide): Now, for your Nationwide Severe Weather Outlook. The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has no severe weather risk over the next 2-3 days.
Tropical Update: Now, for your tropical update. In the Atlantic, (#1) An extratropical low pressure system located over the Central Atlantic about 900 miles East of Bermuda is producing a large area of gale-force winds and maximum winds of hurricane force. Shower activity is currently limited near the center, but this low could gradually acquire some subtropical or tropical characteristics during the next few days while it moves Southeastward and then Eastward into the Eastern Subtropical Atlantic. Regardless of subtropical or tropical cyclone formation, this system is expected to produce hazardous marine conditions over portions of the Central and Eastern Atlantic for the next few days. For additional information, see High Seas Forecasts issued by the National Weather Service. The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook on this system will be issued by 2pm EST today. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) is giving this system a Low chance, 20%, of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours, and a Medium chance, 40%, of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 5 days. In the Central Pacific, (#1) Tropical Storm Pali has winds of 65mph, gusting to 75mph, with a pressure of 990mbars. Movement is East-Northeast at 3mph. Is expected to remain a tropical storm through Friday. Not a threat to land. In the Western Pacific, no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the North Indian Ocean (Arabian Sea), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the North Indian Ocean (Bay of Bengal), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (South-West Indian Ocean), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (Australian Region), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (South Pacific), (#1) Tropical Cyclone Ula has winds of 105mph, gusting to 125mph, with a pressure of 970mbars. Movement is South at 12mph. Is expected to dissipate by late tomorrow or Wednesday.
Long Range Outlook: As we head into mid January, expect a continuance in normal to above normal rainfall across the Southeast with an increase in potential for winter weather. Temperatures will range between normal to much below normal.
Weather Word of the Week: Winter Weather Advisory. Is a product issued by the National Weather Service when a low pressure system produces a combination of winter weather (snow, freezing rain, sleet, etc.) that present a hazard, but does not meet warning criteria.
Where to find more about me: Visit my website at Parker Weather Service.com, or follow me on Twitter at JohnnyParker012@twitter.com and on Google Plus JohnnyParker. The Regional Rehabilitation Center in Tupelo, MS, serves people, like myself, with physical disabilities. I am their “Weatherman in Residence”.