North MS Local Forecast: Good Morning! At Smithville, MS, the current temperature is 65 and it feels like 65. Highs will continue to range between 86 and 93 with lows between 65 and 71. There is a slight chance of rain tomorrow, a 60% chance of PM thunderstorms on Friday, a 40% chance of PM thunderstorms on Sunday, a slight chance of rain next Monday, a 60% chance of PM thunderstorms next Tuesday, and a 40% chance of PM thunderstorms next Wednesday. At the Regional Rehab Center in Tupelo, MS, the current temperature is 67 and it feels like 67. Todays high is 88 with a low of 68. Tuesdays high is 91 with a slight chance of rain.
Severe Weather Update (Southeast Region): Now, for your Severe Weather Update for the Southeast Region. There is no threat of organized or significant severe weather in the long range.
Severe Weather Outlook (Nationwide): Now, for your Nationwide Severe Weather Outlook. The Storm Prediction Center (SPC) has no threat of severe weather over the next 2-3 days.
Tropical Update: Now, for your tropical update. In the Atlantic, (#1) Hurricane Fred has winds of 80mph, gusting to 100mph,with a pressure of 989mbars. Movement is Northwest at 12mph. Is expected to weaken to a tropical storm by Wednesday morning then a tropical depression by the weekend. Expected to affect the Cape-Verde Islands. A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the Cape-Verde Islands. In the Eastern Pacific, (#1) Major Hurricane Jimena has winds of 150mph, gusting to 185mph, with a pressure of 936mbars. Movement is West-Northwest at 17mph. Is expected to maintain hurricane intensity through late Friday. Is not a threat to land. (#2) Showers and thunderstorms associated with an area of low pressure located about 650 miles South-Southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico, have become better organized since yesterday. Environmental conditions are conducive for development, and this system is likely to become a tropical depression during the next day or two while it begins to move Northwestward at about 10mph. If development has not occurred by mid-week, less favorable upper-level winds could make tropical cyclone formation less likely. The National Hurricane Center (NHC) is giving this system a High chance, 80%, of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours, and a High chance, 90%, of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 5 days. In the Central Pacific, (#1) Major Hurricane Kilo has winds of 130mph, gusting to 160mph, with a pressure of 947mbars. Movement is North-Northwest at 8mph. Is expected to remain a major hurricane through Saturday morning. Is not a threat to land. (#2) Major Hurricane Ignacio has winds of 115mph, gusting to 140mph, with a pressure of 963mbars. Movement is Northwest at 9mph. Is expected to remain a hurricane through tomorrow then weaken to a tropical storm by Wednesday and pass just North of Hawaii. In the Western Pacific, no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the North Indian Ocean (Arabian Sea), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (South-West Indian Ocean), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (Australian Region), no development is expected over the next 5 days. In the Southern Hemisphere (South Pacific), no development is expected over the next 5 days.
Long Range Outlook: As we head into early September, expect a continued increase in rainfall across the Southeast. Temperatures will range between normal to much above normal. May see one to three tropical threats going into early through mid September.
Weather Word of the Week: Roll Cloud. Is a low, horizontal tube-shaped arcus cloud associated with a thunderstorm gust front (or sometimes with a cold front). Roll clouds are relatively rare; they are completely detached from the thunderstorm base or other cloud features, thus differentiating them from the more familiar shelf clouds. Roll clouds usually appear to be “rolling” about a horizontal axis, but should not be confused with funnel clouds.
Where to find more about me: Visit my website at Parker Weather Service.com, or follow me on Twitter at JohnnyParker012@twitter.com and on Google Plus JohnnyParker. The Regional Rehabilitation Center in Tupelo, MS, serves people, like myself, with physical disabilities. I am their “Weatherman in Residence”.